Thursday, August 30, 2012

2012 swapout: reinstallation (4 of 5)

[As always, click photos to see their larger versions.]

On a happy note, I woke up early this morning with my head spinning with ideas about the two CTDs that would not communicate, and the idea came to me that perhaps their "instrument transmit" and "instrument receive" wires (Tx and Rx) had been reversed in our specially-made pigtail adapters.  If that was the case then I'd surely had to use "null modems" to connect to them in my office in January but perhaps I'd done just that and hadn't remembered it, due to the long delay between testing and deployment.  So when we arrived at the lab, the first thing I tried was to connect to the CTDs via null modems and hurrah!, that was successful.  Fortunately I had two null modems with me that I could wire into the brain connections at the top of the station later that day.

With that short delay we were still ready to leave the dock by 9am.  Upon arriving at the station I connected the five underwater instruments, on the boat, to the five new cables with cable-tie markings as follows:
  1. "Groundtruth" CT, north side
  2. Deep Light Sensor, south side
  3. Deep CTD, south side
  4. Shallow Light Sensor, north side
  5. Shallow CTD, north side 
By 10am we were ready for our first dive, to install the instruments on the station.  The "groundtruth" CT would be temporarily cable-tied in place (see photo at right, taken before cables were tied down).  Once it was proven to be communicating correctly, it would be disconnected and its dummy-plugged cable end would be cable-tied loosely just below where the chains attached to the pylon near the ocean surface.

The CTDs were screwed down to two mounting brackets each, and each mounting bracket would eventually be hose-clamped to the pylon in two places.  During initial installation we used only two hose clamps per CTD instead of four (see photo of the deep CTD at left) in case we later had to retrieve the CTDs for additional work on the boat.

During this dive we also removed the last two of the old cables, for these had been tangled or cable-tied and we'd been unable to recover them on Tuesday on snorkel alone.  We also did a brief swim around the periphery of the station, going clockwise from pin to pin around the station.  In all this dive took 49 minutes.

From about 11am to 3pm I climbed the station and installed everything that had been removed on Tuesday, but in reverse:  the new battery packs, the three aerial masts, and the "brain."  Above is a picture of the inside of the "brain" chamber at the top of the pylon before reinstalling the batteries; right is a picture of me installing the Vaisala WXT.  Before installing the brain I first had to wire six plugs (four wires each) to the ends of the five new underwater cables and the new cable I was using for the surface light sensor.  After the brain was installed and everything was connected, I flipped the power switch and turned it on.

Next I returned to the boat to connect from my laptop (via radio) to the brain to ensure that all instruments were working properly.  However, I could get no connection at all and I had not remembered noticing any lights on the brain when I turned it on, so I decided to climb again and check if any obvious connections were unplugged.  I did so, powering off the brain, checking connections, and then carefully watching the lights when powering it back on.  I could see the serial ports briefly light up red on startup, and the radio unit flashing red to indicate that it was waiting for a connection, so I returned to the boat and tried again.  When there was still no connection, I switched radios on the boat and tried a different unit, and this time I was able to connect.  At this point all instruments were reporting correctly except, alas, the two SeaBird CTDs.  However I knew that the datalogger programming was written to set up the CTDs to report every six minutes, and at several points it had to wait until the exact six-minute mark before proceeding, so it might take six, twelve or even eighteen minutes before the CTDs would start reporting.  I returned to the pylon to plug up its external openings and tie down all loose cables, in preparation for closing it up, while we waited to see if the CTDs would wake up on their own.  When I next checked the CTDs they were fine, so I finished closing up the station top and removed the safety line and rungs.

One further note about the station top:  the bottom of the transmitter's satellite antenna (see photo at right) is showing signs of peeling paint and might be suffering moisture damage.  We should keep a careful eye on the transmission success rate and perhaps replace this antenna on our next trip regardless of whether it appears to be working normally or not.

At 4:30pm Pamela and I began our final dive to retrieve the groundtruth CT and lock down the other four instruments, and their cables, more securely.  The deep light sensor (whose platform is of a different design than that used for the shallow light sensor) was sitting loosely in its mount so we attempted to gum up the loose space with aquaseal.  A note for future deployments: normally I don't use mastic tape at the point where the light sensors are encircled by their mounts but for this station's deep light sensor we should make an exception.

Pamela noted where the station's lone "warning" buoy (originally there were four, now only one remains) has fouled considerably and its chain is covered with barnacles that appear to pose a chafing danger to the spectra line on that support chain (see photo at right).  We would suggest removing or replacing this buoy.

I will also include a photo (at left) of the bottom portion of the station, to show how much bio-fouling there has been since these spectra line were replaced in March.

A final underwater photo (at right) illustrates very well how completely fouled the chains are.  You mostly cannot see where one link ends and another link begins, and in most places you could not stick your finger through the hole in these chains (much less determine whether they still have sacrificial zincs installed).  Our time at the station was severely limited on this trip and we did not have any time for cleaning the chains or spectra, but this type of cleaning should be done with very high priority once it is determined who will be doing the monthly cleanings from here on out.

We took some post-swapout photos of the station (like this one, below) and then returned to the dock by 5:30pm, where we spent the next two hours cleaning our gear and packing our instruments and supplies for their return shipment to Miami.
[Photos taken by Pamela Fletcher and Mike Jankulak.]